Monday, April 12, 2010

for becky

I went to the grocery store today. I bought a lot of "green" cleaning products--which I had coupons for. We have a very tight food/household needs budget, yet I do pretty well with being able to get organic fruits (apples and greens today) and natural-ish cleaning products. The products which I have used before really do work too, you don't sacrifice anything, well maybe except headaches from fumes or overly strong scents.

I got some Seventh Generation Laundry detergent because I had a $2 coupon, which brought it down to $3.99. It's usually so much more than my normal stuff(Purex Natural Elements)--which I still love btw--that I don't even try it. It has a very fresh scent that smells real, haha.. First load is just about ready to go into the dryer, then we'll see how good of a job it does!

I also always get Seventh Generation all purpose cleaners. They were on sale too plus I had a coupon. When it comes to window cleaner though, I usually just get cheap-o store brand vinegar cleaner--92 cents is good for me!

Another thing I am trying out for the first time is the Seventh Generation Dishwasher Tabs They come in a easily recyclable cardboard box, Finish also has recyclable packaging...but Cascade doesn't. If this stuff works well, I might buy it again, the ingredients aren't as harsh as the ones I normally buy. It was on sale for $3.25 for 15 washes. I usually get the Cascade which is $3.99 so I thought I would try this kind out. I ONLY use their Dish Soap which works amazingly and has such a wonderful fresh REAL scent--so the company has a good reputation with me!

I have also been buying Marcel Small Steps Paper towels, toilet paper and napkins. Out of those three, the paper towels seem to go very quickly, like there aren't as a normal roll or something. They are all great quality and cheaper than the leading brand---which at least doesn't advertise as recycled paper.

I also got a hand soap refill bag: Method brand. It was on sale for $4.5 and fills about 3 normal sized pumps -- I have a bunch of those plastic pumps in a cabinet so I got to re-use them which was cool. Less waste is good, plus the soap is biodegradable and made from plants--meaning no petroleum. (I like this because as I've said a while ago, less dependency on oil and plants are quickly renewable)

All of these products are great for people with allergies too--like mi familia.

But the best thing I did today was go through my cleaning cabinet and get rid of the products which I don't use anymore...mostly floor cleaners. I have a Shark Steam Mop now and love the fact that it only needs water and it sanitizes and easily gets up stuck on food. I read a while ago about how indoor air quality is however many times more polluted than outdoor air because of the cleaning products. I wouldn't be so gung- ho about it if these cleaner, healthier products weren't so readily available and affordable.

I guess saying that was the best thing I did today is pretty shallow. It was even better to take my kiddies to the park and play with them on this amazingly gorgeous sunshiny spring day :)

1 comment:

Beck said...

I'm gonna look for those products! I really need dishwasher detergent now that I have one! :) I'll try that brand first. :)I need to take my kids to the park too. I hope today is another beautiful day! :)