Monday, November 22, 2010

Surely there must be an antidote to the lumps?

So ever since my hubby found out he had high cholesterol things have been changing around here. I love a challenge, and this is definitely a big one for a family on a tight food budget. I have been roasting Chicken and Turkey breasts, slicing it for lunch meat and making soup with the leftovers. He was eating Healthy Choice-type frozen dinners for lunch--which were economical, but loaded with fat and sodium. Now I make sandwiches with lots of lettuce tomato and onion, no mayo...some super good, Drew's Italian dressing, and some feta sprinkled on the meat. He loves it! I also make him tuna or Salmon, I used plain yogurt and the same dressing as the creamy base...along with the cucumber and stuffs. He has been taking a lot of fruit too, and Light Baby Bels...he always needs cheese!! He really enjoys his new lunches, and I am so glad!! His night snacking has diminished a lot too, now he is really into eating carrots, celery and nuts. This is helping me too, I have been making sure I cut out the prepared foods and have also been making Red Swiss Chard for him...which he loves too! I really hope it helps bring his levels down.

I finally ordered prints from when my daughter was born 2.5 years ago!!! 299 prints are on there way and I am going to buckle down and get her baby book done! I have been feeling guilty about it since she turned 1! I finished my son's on his first birthday!

We started watching Little Dorrit on DVD and I am really enjoying it! We also started watching The Walking Dead...which is well done for a zombie show. It gets disturbing though.

So today a dear friend I've known since birth had her first child, and it's so exciting! Babies are such amazing miracles and blessings. I can't wait to hold this little one, and am so frustrated with this head cold that will definitely prevent that from happening anytime soon!

If there is one thing that I can't live without on Thanksgiving, it's stuffing.

After the Baby Book, I have getting my passport on the list.

I got Disney's Beauty and the Beast Diamond Edition BD/DVD Combo for $9.99 today with $15 of coupons at Target! That was awesome. $5 off the coupons was from targets own printable coupons on their website, and you can put it toward any Disney movie, including the Toy Story 3 BD--on sale for $19.99...so pretty good afterwards! This ends on the 24th though so hurry!

Family is watching Adventure Time, Lets go party Ice King!

2 comments:

Beck said...

You're such a good wife and mom! You've really inspired me to cook more meat for my family. It's still a work in progress! Have you ever used an 'oven bag'? I heard from a friend that they make the meat amazingly moist. I'm curious! :)

sUsAn said...

Oh, this post made me hungry! : ) I have high chol. too and take 800 mg. Niacin now instead of a p-script. I was floored at what a difference it made in addition to eating more mindfully. Does he like hummus? That is good as a spread on sandwiches too. My fam takes homemade hummus, raw veggies, and whole wheat pita for lunch a lot. I also send a lot of dinner leftovers in thermoses too. I'll have to email you my favorite recipe that has chard in it. We're watching The Walking Dead show too! I really want them to tell more about how the whole turning people into zombies thing happened. It's filmed in Atlanta and one of my cousins who lives there wants to get an extra role as a zombie! We'll have to discuss Litle Dorrit sometime. Okay, sorry this is the longest comment ever...