Friday, July 6, 2007

The Joy of Peanut Butter

Ever since Asa turned one, and maybe even a little before, people around me have been moved to curiosity over why I won't let him have peanut butter. When I say peanut butter, I mean peanut butter crackers, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and other candies with peanuts, or any foods with the nut it in. The reason I stayed away from it though, was because I was convinced that children should wait till they're three to have peanuts, especially if they have other allergies.

Until recently I stuck to my guns about it. Today I was feeding my nephew peanut butter on toast(one of his favorite foods) and I was feeling kind of weak as to how other people around me affect me so that I change my mind on things, basically just to please them. He certainly was loving the toast though. Asa made his way over to it as well, he grabbed a piece and smeared it on his face. I told him to put it back, and that it was not his.

He has had crackers in the past few weeks with PB in them at relatives(on both sides lol) homes. I kind of just let him have it as to not make me look crazy, and also to make other people happy. (Very sad, I know)

So after Luke is done his food and I am done cleaning up the mess, I notice that Asa's face is red super bumpy with his upper lip all swollen. I freak out! I grab him and hold him, he probably thinks I am crazy. I grab my purse and dump out all the millions of business cards from the pocket of my wallet. I search through them frantically yet come out empty handed. I run over to the phone book cabinet, my hands shaking wildly. I keep thinking his throat is going to close up I won't be able to do anything about it. I find the book, and the doctor's number and quickly dial it. A busy signal?! For a doctor's office? Something is not right! I set him down on the table while I run around in aimless circles trying to think of what it is I should do. I decide to call them back, and this time it ends up victorious. "May I speak to a Nurse, or Doctor please?" I say in my most calm and sweet/cheerful voice. What's wrong with me?! Am I afraid I'll offend the receptionist if I act more emotional? After what seemed like way too much time I was answered by a nurse. She told me to give him Benedryl, call and Allergist and that if he has any breathing problems to go and pick up the Epi-pen Jr she was about to call in for me. It seems so simple in one sentence, but it actually was complicated to get those directions when the boys were both screaming bloody murder at each other and I am getting a call on the other line blocking out her speech. I also realize I don't have enough medicine. After scribbling down some allergist's numbers and hoping I got them right(especially since I completely missed their names) I realized that I had to drag two almost-two -year-old boys into the car and down to the pharmacy. I call my hubby and start to cry.


I obviously survived the ordeal. Thank God Asa's reaction mellowed out and I was able to give him Benedryl and pick up his Epi Pen. He's sleeping right now, and I feel like doing the same.

The Moral of the story: Don't be easily moved from what you think is right, just to make other people happy, comfortable or even for your own appearance.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"The Moral of the story: Don't be easily moved from what you think is right, just to make other people happy, comfortable or even for your own appearance."....

Way to go!!!!! A very wise moral!!!

You may find that it usually isn't as simple as peanut butter, though. I think the people who tend to shame you for your views really have other motives. They could be jealous of the fact that you think differently then they do. I'm sure that some people are well meaning. It's those other ones that need to be taken to task. Maybe THEY need to be questioned. Something like, "Do you really know for a fact that pb will NOT harm my child?"

It's kind of ridiculous, in my opinion...as if NOT giving your child pb is somehow going to harm him!!! LOL!!!

Bottom line is you are the parent and are the one responsible for your child. A good parent wants what is best for their child even if it goes against public opinion!!!