Thursday, June 28, 2007

wifehood

It's interesting to think about how much our life has changed since I stopped working. Although I really liked my job, I couldn't imagine running this household while working outside of it! I don't know how I did it. Except things weren't as organized, and we weren't as happy. Sometimes people ask me if I am bored or unhappy staying at home with Asa full time, but I feel the complete opposite. I love being here with him and keeping the house in good order and having dinner ready for Mark when he gets home.
I remember in college a class I took about life, honestly I don't know what the point of it was. I do remember one class when we looked at how the history of women's jobs has changed in the past century. My class was all women students and the teacher was a middle-aged woman who was just finding herself after divorcing her husband, moving in with her new "lover",getting a tattoo and a "real" job. She was very nice, very sweet to everyone, but the class in particular about persuaded and thinking, "I can't believe what society expected of women---it was so degrading and unequal, to think that people lived to run a household only!" Even after having Asa I still wanted to keep working and having "worth" in this society, and more "equality" with my husband. (Although in my heart all I wanted to do was be with my baby all day). Little bits her point of view rubbed off on me and only recently have I written them off as false.

This job is so valid and important and challenging and rewarding and wonderful! I love it. I think it's equally important to making money outside the home. Some of the things in the past weren't great but history gets progressively better and more civilized, right? I guess I'll just try not to repeat the bad things.

I am honestly blessed not to HAVE to work outside the home. I know many women can't and that's just the way their lives turned out and that's ok but I feel that ultimately it's best for me to be here.

Anyway, we've had a busy 10 days swimming and having fun. Asa has really started to feel more independent when swimming, and potty training has been going well. Last Saturday we went back to Wissahickon and started at the North end, we walked about 3.5 miles before we had to head back. My birthday was on Sunday, I'm 23. We had a nice weekend celebrating and I feel so blessed to have so many loving people in my life. I believe we will be swimming again today, it's been in the high 90's the past couple days.

2 comments:

Me said...

Last night I read something very simliar to what you're describing here.

Just as long as you're happy, thats all that matters :)

westie said...

Hello,
I am new to this blog thing and I am having a great time learning to use it. I also love to write and take photos, so this is a great avenue to do so. I was writing to inquire about the pics you took (state park?). Where is this place located?

In any case you have a beautiful child, I have 2 and 1 on the way. Enjoyed the blog - Westie.
eatinla@blogspot.com